Monday 12 May 2014

Benouville the game - Step 2 the buildings (3)

Cottages at C & D
As mentioned previously, I had ascertained the need for two dormer cottages at position C & D on the plan which I knew after an exhaustive search were not available commercially. So, having wracked my brain, I came up with the idea that I would attempt to butcher one of my existing small buildings & create them as a "hash-build". Searching through my scenery box I came up with this:

Small Tiger Terrain house/shop
With the aid of my trusty Dremel tool (some of the best hobby money I've ever spent) I cut it in half leaving an upstairs with no door & downstairs which was a shop on the reverse. Adding the two halves to some outbuildings I bought on eBay http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=79&CategoryID=2484&PageIndex=5 & attaching two new roofs I was certain I could turn out something like what the job needed. Here's what I came up with:


Cottage C
Cottage at C on the map was made from the upstairs, inverted & with one of the outhouses added along the side to provide the door. I 'rendered' the brickwork with some filler to match the new host building and based it on an open surround as it would eventually be surrounded by orchards.


Cottage D
Cottage at D was made from the lower portion of the original building with some filler & a different extension to hide the shopfront part. I cut some scouring pad up to provide the 'dressed' hedge around the garden (I intend to add some flowers after a trip to Triples this Saturday)

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with how they turned out. They will definitely be seeing lots of use in further Normandy games of IABSM & CoC.

With these two finished, that would conclude all 9 buildings (ones pertaining to the scenario) within the road area of the map. Next step will be orchards....

No comments:

Post a Comment